“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.” ― Mark Twain
Planning a trip is as important and exciting as the trip itself. But this is also true that you cannot plan everything in advance and know exactly what you’re gonna do and where you’re gonna go. As Lao Tzu said, “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.”
You can only have an outline but not the full painting, as it gets painted when you’re on the road. The more you travel, and the more experiences you earn, the better artist you become.
As we know that the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. And the first step in preparing a trip is to make a decision and find out why do you wanna go for a long term travel, and are you ready to take all the risks. If you have read the About section on this website, you know that I’ve already taken my first step.
The next step is to decide where to start from and why? I have chosen Singapore as my starting point because I got some unbelievable deals for my flight and accommodation in Singapore. And from there I can go to Malaysia and then to Thailand and so on.
In this pre-travel journey the next step is to know the visa requirement for all the countries you want to visit. I’ve researched on internet, called many embassy, spoke with few Indian travelers and learned a lot about visa. I have created a separate page for visa related information, which I will keep updating.
Next step is to find cheap flights. I’ve been researching on this as well for quiet some time now, and the best way to find the cheap flights are to search for flights on google and then click on flight just below the search box, then click one way and then click on the calendar, it will show you the cheapest price on each date. This gives you an idea, now go to different websites or the airlines own website and compare and book your flights.
Points to keep in your mind while searching for flights:
- Budget airlines are not always cheap, as you have to pay for the checked baggage and meals as well. For example if you wanna go from India to Jakarta, and if you live in New Delhi, Malindo airline will be cheaper than Air Asia. As Malindo will provide you the checked baggage free of cost, where in Air Asia, you have to pay for it.
- Check flights from different airports. Flights from Kolkata will always be cheaper than the flights from New Delhi. If there is a huge difference in fare, you can go from New Delhi to Kolkata by train and fly from Kolkata.
Now, you’ve got a rough idea about where you wanna go, and if you need a visa, and how much is the flight ticket. The next step is the most important of all, which is how to get or save money?
The first thing I did after I decided to travel was to move from my current apartment to a studio apartment and got rid of a lot of electronic appliances. Which saved me a lot of money I was spending every month on house rent and electricity bills.
These are few things I found helpful while trying to save money:
- Stop eating in fancy restaurant every day, instead cook some healthy food at your home. Trust me you’ll fall in love with yourself if you start cooking.
- Quit smoking and drinking, you don’t realize but you spend a lot of money on it. I can’t quit or maybe I don’t want to. So, I’ve simply reduced the consumption, which feels amazing. I used to smoke at least 15 – 20 cigarette in a day, now I don’t smoke more than 2-4 a day. I used to drink almost every day, now I only drink once or twice a month. And I’m just loving it!!
- Stop driving your car everywhere you go. Public transport won’t kill you and after all, you’re going to travel where you have to use public transport A LOT! You spend tons of money on parking and fuel, SAVE THEM & GO GREEN!!
- This one works best for me: ONLY SPEND ON SOMETHING YOU CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT! You’ll get plenty of time to spend when you set off.
Now the next step is to buy a cool backpack and get your stuff in it and GO! I’ll soon write a separate post on what kind of backpack to buy and what to pack.
IF YOU HAVE GOT SOME ADVISE FOR ME OR YOU WANNA ASK SOMETHING, FEEL FREE TO DO SO BY USING THE COMMENT FORM BELOW.
Explore. Dream. Discover.